The residential hauler for South Whitehall Township is J. P. Mascaro & Sons, located in Allentown. The following items are picked up curbside on a weekly basis:Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste and Grass Clippings (April through October)
Every resident will have a refuse toter for use in placing his or her trash out for collection. You are permitted one bulk item per week, also on the same day. Your refuse toter is only for the collection of trash.
Yard Waste collected curbside must be in an open container or bundled and it may not weigh more than 50 pounds. Grass clippings will be picked up on a weekly basis from April through October on the same day as your refuse. Grass Clippings must be placed in a separate container that cannot exceed 35 gallons.
Each household is permitted to have one 35 gallon container of grass clippings collected weekly curbside. Any more than one container of grass clippings weekly (April- October) will require grass stickers. The price for grass stickers is $3.00 and they are good for a one-time use. Grass stickers may be purchased at the Township Building (4444 Walbert Avenue), as well as at Giant Food Store (3100 Tilghman Street, Allentown). Payment at the Township building must be in cash, check or money order, credit cards are not accepted.
Please place your items out for collection the night before the scheduled pick-up.
YARD WASTE OR GRASS CANNOT BE PLACED IN TRASH OR RECYCLING TOTERS, EVEN IF IT IS A SMALL AMOUNT. THE HAULER WILL NOT TAKE YOUR TOTER IF IT CONTAINS ANY YARD WASTE OR GRASS.
Holiday Pick-Up Schedule 2014
During a holiday week, all trash and recycling days that fall on or after a holiday will be picked up one (1) day later than normal.
The hauler will observe the following holidays:
- Memorial Day -- May 26th
- Independence Day -- July 4th
- Labor Day -- September 1st
- Thanksgiving -- November 27th
- Christmas -- December 25th
- New Year's Day -- January 1, 2015
Did You Know?
- If you are placing extra trash for collection every week, please remember that it must be placed in the refuse toter. If your volume of waste exceeds the capacity of the refuse toter, please purchase an additional refuse toter for trash collection. Your refuse/recycling bill will not increase if you purchase an additional refuse toter. However, only two refuse toters per residence will be picked up each week.
- Bulk items are limited to a maximum weight of 50 lbs.
- You are permitted to place one bulk item per week for collection (does not include bagged trash).
- Cleaning a house or garage?
You may also purchase a BULK STICKER for a fee of $30.00 at the Township Building. This will accommodate a pile of trash six (6) feet long by three (3) feet wide by three (3) feet high. The sticker should be affixed to an item that will be easily seen by the driver. As an alternative, you may rent a dumpster from any hauler. Please do not place the dumpster in the street.
- All trash, recycling, yard waste, grass and bulk items must be placed out for collection the night before your pick-up day. Items that are not at the curb when the hauler arrives will not be picked up until the following week.
- If you move out of the Township, please leave the recycling toter and refuse toter at the residence.
- When you move into a new home, please call the Township Building for information regarding a new refuse toter and recycling bin - 610-398-0401.
- If the truck damages your refuse toter, please call J. P. Mascaro &Sons at 610-434-2501 for a replacement.
- When your trash or recycling is missed, please call J. P. Mascaro & Sons at 610-434-2501.If you are not able to resolve your concerns with J. P. Mascaro & Sons, feel free to contact us at the Township Building for assistance or clarification on the issue.
- Separate trucks are used for the collection of each of the following: trash, recycling, grass, yard waste and bulk items.
- When there is a weather-related emergency and the trucks are unable to pick up your items, they will be collected on the following day.
Refuse Toter System Information
The South Whitehall Township refuse hauler is J. P. Mascaro & Sons.
Each residence in the Township is provided with a container commonly called a refuse toter. Refuse toters are containers on wheels and they will be picked up and emptied mechanically by the hauler.
The refuse toters are available in three sizes: 35 gallons, 64 gallons and 96 gallons.
Rules For Curbside Collection Of Yard Waste
J. P. Mascaro &Sons will collect yard waste at the curb on a year-round basis. Yard waste must be placed out the night before your scheduled pick-up. Please follow the rules mentioned below:
The limit will be two (2) OPEN containers or bundles per week. Each container or bundle cannot exceed the weight limit of 50 lbs.
Tree trimmings - up to 3" in diameter and 4' in length.
Shrubbery and hedge trimmings, prunings, garden waste (tomato plants, weeds).
No tree roots.
Branches can be no longer than 3" in diameter and 4' in length.
Yard and Garden Drop-Off Center:
Additional yard waste can be dropped off at the Yard & Garden Drop-off.
The Drop-Off is available year round on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. The hours are:
Summer Hours: April 1st through September 30th from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Winter Hours: October 1st through March 31st from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
During the Township leaf collection (usually around October), you must place loose leaves in the street, not in your yard waste containers.