The residential hauler for South Whitehall Township is J. P. Mascaro & Sons, located in Allentown. Trash is picked up once a week; recycling is picked up once a week; and yard waste is picked up once a week.
YARD WASTE OR GRASS CANNOT BE PLACED IN TRASH OR RECYCLING TOTERS,
Every resident will have a refuse toter for use in placing their trash out for collection. The collection schedule is one time per week. Your designated pick-up will include every type of item that you had previously placed out for collection, plus yard waste. You are still permitted one bulk item per week, also on the same day. Your new refuse toter is only for the collection of trash.
Place your yard waste out for collection in an open container or bundled, not weighing more than fifty pounds. Your grass clippings, placed in an open container or paper recycling bag, will be picked up on the same day as your refuse. You will be required to purchase a grass sticker for each container. The price for grass stickers are $3.00 and they are good for a one-time use. Grass stickers may be purchased at the Township Building (4444 Walbert Avenue), as well as at Giant Food Store (3100 Tilghman Street, Allentown). Payment at the Township Building must be in cash, check or money order, as credit cards are not accepted.
Please place your items out for collection the night before the scheduled pickup.
As a reminder, when placing yard waste out for collection, it must be placed in no more than two (2) separate and open containers.
EVEN IF IT IS A SMALL AMOUNT.
THE HAULER WILL NOT TAKE YOUR TOTER IF IT CONTAINS ANY YARD WASTE OR GRASS.
Holiday Pick-Up Schedule 2013
During a holiday week, all trash and recycling days that fall on or after a holiday will be picked up one (1) day later than normal.
The following holidays will be observed by the hauler:
Memorial Day -- May 27th
Independence Day -- July 4th
Labor Day -- September 2nd
Thanksgiving -- November 28th
Christmas -- December 25th
New Year's Day -- January 1, 2014
Did You Know?
- If you are placing extra trash for collection every week, please remember that it must be placed in the refuse toter. If your volume of waste exceeds the capacity of the refuse toter, please purchase an additional refuse toter for trash collection. Your refuse/recycling bill will not increase if you purchase an additional refuse toter. However, only two refuse toters per residence will be picked up each week.
- Bulk items are limited to a maximum weigh limit of 50 lbs.
- You are permitted to place one bulk item per week for collection (does not include bagged trash).
- Cleaning a house or garage?
You may also purchase a BULK STICKER for a fee of $28.00 at the Township Building. This will accommodate a pile of trash six (6) feet long by three (3) feet wide by three (3) feet high. The sticker should be affixed to an item that will be easily seen by the driver. As an alternative, you may rent a dumpster from any hauler. Please do not place the dumpster in the street.
- All trash, recycling, yard waste, grass and bulk items must be placed out for collection the night before your pickup day. Items that are not at the curb when the hauler arrives will not be picked up until the following week.
- Grass clippings left on the lawn provide nutrients. Please try to grass cycle.
- If you move out of the Township, please leave the recycling toter and refuse toter at the residence.
- When you move into a new home, please call the Township Building for information regarding a new refuse toter and recycling bin - (610) 398-0401.
- If your refuse toter is damaged by the truck, please call J. P. Mascaro & Sons at (610) 434-2501 for a replacement.
- When your trash or recycling is missed, please call J. P. Mascaro & Sons at (610) 434-2501. If you are not able to resolve your concerns with J. P. Mascaro & Sons, feel free to contact us at the Township Building for assistance or clarification on the issue.
- Separate trucks are used for the collection of each of the following: trash, recycling, grass, yard waste and bulk items.
- When there is a weather-related emergency and the trucks are unable to pick up your items, they will be collected on the following day.
Refuse Toter System Information
The South Whitehall Township refuse hauler is J. P. Mascaro & Sons.
Each residence in the Township is provided with a container commonly called a refuse toter. Refuse toters are containers on wheels and they will be picked up and emptied mechanically by the hauler.
The refuse toters are available in three sizes: 35 gallons, 64 gallons and 98 gallons.
Rules For Curbside Collection Of Grass Clippings
J. P. Mascaro & Sons will collect grass clippings at the curb during the months of April through October. Grass clippings must be placed out the night before your scheduled pick-up. Please follow the rules mentioned below:
Grass clippings will be collected only if the container the clippings are in has a Grass Sticker attached.
The price for Grass Stickers will be $3.00. There is no limit on the number of Grass Stickers that may be purchased at one time. Grass stickers may be purchased at the Township Building (4444 Walbert Avenue) and at Giant Food Store (3100 Tilghman Street, Allentown). Payment at the Township Building must be in cash, check or money order, as credit cards are not accepted.
Grass clippings only (no tree or hedge trimmings or garden waste) must be placed in open containers
or recyclable paper bags that have a Grass Sticker attached. Grass clippings placed in plastic bags will not be accepted.
If the grass clippings are placed in the trash or recycling toters, the toters will not be collected for that week.
Rules For Curbside Collection Of Yard Waste
J. P. Mascaro & Sons will collect yard waste at the curb on a year-round basis. Yard waste must be placed out the night before your scheduled pick-up. Please follow the rules mentioned below:
The limit will be two (2) OPEN containers or bundles per week.
Each container or bundle cannot exceed the weight limit of 50 lbs.
Tree trimmings - up to 3" in diameter and 4' in length.
Shrubbery and hedge trimmings, prunings, garden waste (tomato plants, weeds).
No tree roots.
Branches can be no longer than 3" in diameter and 4' in length.
Yard and Garden Drop-Off Center:
Additional yard waste can be dropped off at the Yard & Garden Drop-off.
The Drop-Off is available year round on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
The hours are:
Summer Hours: April 1st through September 30th from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Winter Hours: October 1st through March 31st from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
During the Township leaf collection (usually around October), you must place loose leaves in the street, not in your yard waste containers.
IESI Bethlehem Landfill
To dispose of additional trash or bulk items, you have the option of using the IESI Bethlehem Landfill. This is not a substitute for your weekly household trash pick-up. The service can be used if you are cleaning out a home and would like to dispose of excessive amounts immediately.
Their address is:
IESI Bethlehem Landfill
2335 Applebutter Road
Bethlehem, PA 18105
For information and prices, call:
Their hours are:
Monday through Friday - 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday - 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.